Noted I am not too sad about not having to help pack up all the food, the boat, and towels and then carry it all down the hot dusty road to the house boat... however the rest of the week tends to make up for all of that. Oh well, I suppose that is what real life is actually about - responsibility and not vacation.
Which reminds me of a discussion my Dad had with us over dinner last night, the end of which I fell asleep in, but I think he'll be surprised at how much I actually got from it.
We started with 1 Samuel 8 - where the children of Israel ask to have a King rather than the judges, Samuel is frustrated and after speaking with the Lord several times the Lord allows them to have a King. The children of Israel use that as justification for a King, saying that the Lord has sanctioned it even when that was not really the case. Prior to giving them Kings Samuel explains to them what the King will do - taking their lands, and their children, etc. And the people rather than being distraught by the thought are pleased. They are comforted knowing that they will not have any responsibility.
Given that responsibility required me to stay home from Lake Powell the thought of no responsibility sounds pretty nice. But thinking about the further consequences to having no responsibility.... not as appealing. I think about those things that result in the greatest joy for me.
Its finishing a final paper for a class. Cleaning (yes, I am crazy - but if you will cook I will clean up!). Doing something for someone else. Going on a mission. Going to lunch when I please. Eating what I want. Traveling. And on and on...
All of things take responsibility. Even the little things like going to lunch - if I didn't have any responsibility than I wouldn't be able to choose when and where and what I eat. Its more like being a baby... and as fun as it would be to sleep, eat, and poop all day I am just not sure that is the life that I really want at this point. So, yes responsibility comes both with the good and the bad - but by in large the good outweighs the bad.
Now, I could go into a long political discussion on this same topic given the current state of affairs - but I will spare the details, and simply state that I believe we are headed into a time where more people are choosing to not have responsibility. They want the government to be in complete control - responsible for every aspect of their lives. Healthcare is only the beginning.
For me, I will be watching for John Galt.
No comments:
Post a Comment