So, I will try to recap the last month or so, which may also provide an explanation for my lack of writing.
A few months ago after having lunch with my parents subsequently followed by prayers, research, and some other discussions we concluded that I was suffering from mild depression and anxiety. I finally recognized a few anxiety attacks, I had mistaken for allergic to reactions - so the upside to that is I can eat peanuts! Yea!
It has been an experience for sure - but things are looking up! Prior to this experience, I would have to say I was more of one of those that would have told someone to buck up and get over it, but it has been an interesting experience to realize what exactly I have been feeling, identify it, and feel completely helpless to do anything about it. I have never felt so much secluded from the world, to feel myself pulling away from people - friends, family, blogging. I think the best thing I did was tell someone other than my parents what was going on. There was something about letting it out that made me feel like I could conquer it, that it wasn't me alone trying to fight it, but that there were others who knew - even if they couldn't do anything - they knew.
I have been adamant about not going on any drugs, so I have done a lot of research on natural ways to overcome depression/anxiety. Exercise - a brisk walk in the morning and fish oil have been the best two things to helping me. A close second has been getting off caffeine - yes, I am no longer drinking diet coke. It was a bit of a sad day, but I have felt a lot better - I got over the headaches and tiredness while on our cruise to Alaska and this week has been great. I did have a little zip fizz today (less than half the tube) as I did not go to bed till after 1am last night.
Overall, I am doing a lot better. I visited with a life coach last week - I do not have a craft corner - and it was actually very interesting and helpful.
So that is essentially what has been going on - well in my brain over the last couple months. As far as actual going ons - we finished our annual fundraiser, Legacy Awards Banquet, and we are hoping that we will not have to do that again. It is a lot of stress for almost no return. Then we took a family vacation - beginning with a drive to Seattle, a final wedding reception for Ashley and Taylor, and then a cruise to Alaska. Alaska was beautiful! The most amazing part was when we took a float plane to the Misty Fjords - I will post pictures when Ashley sends them to me (she is our official family photographer). There are no words to explain and the pictures will likely not do it justice, but we landed the plane there in the water - the place was called, God's pocket - and I reckon that is exactly what God's pocket looks like. Pure beauty - the trees, animals, and the water - pure glass. The air was misty, hence the name, cool air and the only sound was - well us, we're just not that quiet.
Going back to work is the worst after vacation, and I would have to say the day back it was really awful, but it has gotten better and it has. So, I will just see what progresses over the next several months. I have contemplated grad school, teach for america, or moving. The possibilities seem endless at this point in my life, so the next few years could be a roller coaster, but I am ready for the adventure!
Alli I think you need a trip 'down under' to come and visit me in Australia! It would be great to see you and catch up one of these days :) Miss you
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome to do anything you want, but moving is NOT AN OPTION! :-) Sorry you have had a hard time lately, it sounds like you are really being proactive about everything, I'm proud of you! We are hanging out next week no matter what our schedules are like! I love you and you are such an amazing woman. I look up to you so much for so many things.
ReplyDeleteI don't even know how to start my comment on that post...well, first with the humorous... nice reference to Paris, I totally laughed out loud about the craft table! Now on to the serious, I am so impressed with your strength (I could not have been as honest as you were when I was struggling). I am sorry that you are struggling, I can tell you that is when I have learned the most about myself & the power of the atonement - I just wish I knew an easier way to do it! Please know that whenever you need to escape, and play with three crazy boys, you know where we are! Hang in there!
ReplyDelete